At Baptism, the Christian Community welcomes and accepts the child at the invitation of the parents. Confirmation can be seen as the child, when he or she is no longer a child makes a personal choice to accept the Community. Thus, next to the parents as the single biggest influence on the life of a child, the Christian Community is the biggest gift parents can give to their children. However, in order for the Christian Community to help parents in the formation of the child, he or she must be present to it and in it. The support of the rest of the family, the Christian Community, helps parents realize that they are not alone in raising their children. We are all responsible in some way, and we work together to shoulder that responsibility.Therefore, communal Baptism, with other children, is strongly encouraged.
1. Register your child for baptism two months in advance of the date by mail, fax or e-mail to the parish office (forwarding information is noted below).
2. At least one parent must be a Catholic.
3. Godparent(s) must be at least 16 years old, a confirmed Catholic, practicing their faith, and be willing to accept the responsibility of supporting their godchild in faith.
4. If you have only one Godparent, then that person can be either male or female.
5. Both the parents and the Godparents must attend the Baptism Preparation Class which we offer here at Our Lady of Fatima. You may attend a class at another Catholic parish (please provide a certificate of completion with the Baptism Name and date of Baptism in the upper right hand corner, clearly printed). Forward the certificate by means indicated below.
Our Lady of Fatima Parish
1452 Kings Road
Sydney River, NS
Attention: Infant Baptism
Fax to: 902-567-0381
e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Baptisms are scheduled for the Second Sunday of each month. Forms are available below:
Requests for Baptism Certificates should be made to the parish office at email@example.com with BAPTISM CERTIFICATE in the subject line. Please include the name, date of birth, date of Baptism, parents names and where you wish to have the certificated forwarded.