When Our Lady of Fatima was being established in 1949, we were fortunate to have had a wonderfully active Ladies Auxiliary that worked very hard during the time the parish was getting started. They held picnics, suppers, bingo, and many other events to help the parish financially, under the guidance of the first Auxiliary leader, Mrs. P. J. Connelly. Many of the members of the Ladies Auxiliary as well as other women of the parish, joined the newly formed CWL council in 1959. The First President was Irene Lewis.
The CWL remains a vital part of our parish, raising funds for the church and community and promoting CWL initiatives.
The objectives of the CWL of Canada are as follows:
- to achieve individual and collective spiritual development
- to promote the teachings of the Catholic church
- to exemplify the Christian ideal in home and family life
- to protect the sanctity of life
- to enhance the role of women in church and society
- to recognize the human dignity of all people everywhere
- to uphold and defend Christian education and values in the modern world
- to contribute to the understanding and growth of religious freedom, social justice, peace and harmony